Lorrha Cottages - Local Area Information
Lorrha is on the borders of the ancient territory of Ely O'Carroll, stronghold of the O'Carroll family. Today the area has a wonderful variety of attractions that highlight the fascinating history, heritage and environment of this area.
Living on the island of Ireland has long been an enchanting experience for native and visitor alike - the natural freshness of air and landscape, the friendly and welcoming people, the magnificent heritage of an ancient land.
All in all, a superb environment in which to relax. And now you can share that experience with a holiday in an authentic fully restored cottage, located in the heart of a historic village near the majestic River Shannon and its lakes,
10 things to do & see locally
- Walk around Lorrha and view its historic sites, visit the SCEAL communty shop for a coffee & pick up a local souvenir from the craft section. Guided historic tours of Lorrha are also available by appointment with a local historian.
- Play golf on one of the 4 courses within 30 miutes drive.
- Lough Derg Drive, enyoy the views and stop off for lunch or a Guinness at on of the many resturants along the way.
- Visit Portumna Castle and Workhouse or walk one of the many trails through Portumna Forest Park.
- Visit the heritage towns of Birr and Roscrea.
- Stroll around the famous gardens at Birr Castle now with the biggest tree house in Europe. Visit the Historic Science Centre and experience whatwas once the largest telescope in the world.
- Go fishing on the River Shannon or try one of the many watersports available on this Blue Way Route.
- Whiskey Tour - Tullamore Dew and Kilbeggan Distillery.
- Go Horse riding.
- Visit Clonmacnoise.